8/6/09

Catch Up

Here's a little bit of an update of my summer...

My flight got canceled one week before I was set to leave. Thanks Delta and Homeland Security. I was really bummed, but now am making the most of the summer and leave September 17.

In June, my brother was in town for a week and we went down to my favorite place on earth- Lake Powell. On the way down we stopped at Bryce. Here's some pics from the trip:

My impressive father...even at 50 his slalom cuts are still unreal!
The Fam at Rainbow Bridge (right after my mom broke her back...if only we'd known then)
Before we took a hike in a slot canyon
The canyon we hiked through. It was amazing
Doesn't this picture define "summer"

It was a really fun trip while we were down there...once we got back we discovered my mom had broken her back. We went over a tour boat wave (more like jumped the wave so it wouldn't swamp the boat) on the way to Rainbow Bridge and my mom landed and compressed her back really bad. She took it easy the rest of the trip. We got home thinking she just pulled something in her back, but when she finally went to the doctor she discovered she'd broken three vertebrae so she is in a back brace all summer. Not fun at all, but she's had a great attitude about it all!

I moved to this lovely house with one of my bestest friends, Elisa! Its amazing and so nice to be able to walk around Sugarhouse and especially to Whole Foods to buy groceries.
I've been taking care of my grandparents Leon and Barbara Halgren. I have had such a fun time finding old photographs (some from earlier than World War I), drinking maté with my Grandpa every morning (a herbal drink he has drank since he went to Argentina), and hearing the most amazing stories...about them living in Alaska when it was a territory, my Grandpa's summers as a ranger in Yellowstone, my Grandma's childhood growing up in a boxcar and hiding from Indians, etc. There are so so many stories and its been so fun to hear them all!

Last weekend we went up to Park City for the Arts Festival and camping in the Uinta's. It was a blast.
The Girls Camping

I've also been doing a lot of hikes for my training for Kili. My sister and I have become quite the hiking partners! Its been a ton of fun!
Up at Brighton with my Dad and Annie. We went to Silver Lake, up to Lake Solitude over to Twin Lake, then to Lake Mary and back to the cabin. It was a fun hike, we just wish Mom could have come too! Get out of that back brace!!Annie and I at Grandeur Peak

1 comment:

  1. Great update on your blog! It's so fun to see yur pictures and what you've been doing. It was fun at your house for book club the other night. You did a geat job!
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete